Monday, May 16, 2011

Toy Chest Rescue

Well not more than 6 months ago I purchased what I thought was a very nice little woven toy chest for our living room. I got it at Michael's and used a 40% off coupon and was quite pleased with my purchase. My children immediately claimed it as their window watching spot since it sits beside the couch, in front of the window. Are my kids the only ones who spend hours watching for the arrival of our next guests, or the Tuesday morning trash pick-up, the neighbors lawn mower or the last motorcycle that sped by (um, do they realize if they already heard it, it's already gone)? :) They are so cute on their little perch and I don't have the heart to tell them to stop. But our poor toy chest has taken quite a beating and when the kiddos realized the lid was starting to peel, they helped it along. I wish I had a photo.  As always, I am eager to start my project and only remember photos after it is too late. Well, you can imagine. The poor thing was in sorry shape. But I was not about to send it to the trash heap (or what would they watch from when the trash man came to get it??) Couldn't I just unscrew the lid and rip the peeling weave off and add some quilt batting and a nice fabric. YES!!! So that's exactly what I did! I didn't even glue or tack the quilt batting down, just folded it up and laid it on there. And the fabric you see in the first pics was vetoed by hubby so the cut up shower curtain it is! :) Much better... For at least another 6 months I hope!
After removing the woven top:


 Voila!
Linking up to Today's Creative Blog

1 comment: